BETHLEHEM, Pa. --- On Saturday, February 18, 2017, the Moravian College women’s basketball team will host its annual Play 4Kay Cancer Awareness Day. The Greyhounds host The Catholic University of America in the Landmark Conference regular season finale. The game is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. after the annual Alumni Game at 11:30 a.m. in Johnston Hall at Moravian College.
"The Play 4Kay game—combined with our annual alumni game—is the feature game on regular season schedule," commented Head Coach Mary Beth Spirk. "So many of our past and current players and coaches have a deep personal commitment to this cause. Yes, we are proud to lead all NCAA Division III teams in Play 4Kay fundraising but more important for everyone associated with our program is knowing that we are doing our part to help fund research to end this devastating disease. Our Play 4Kay fundraising has become an integral part of the spring semester activities throughout Moravian College and we want to thank everyone at the College for helping us make a difference to others."
For the past eight years, the Moravian College women's basketball team has been the top leader of the NCAA Division III Kay Yow Cancer Fund Play 4Kay Contest. The Hounds raised over $18,500 in 2016 and are looking to surpass that this year with the generosity of their fans and have a list of upcoming events that are taking place.
In addition to collecting donations at the game versus Catholic, Moravian spends the entire week with efforts for Play 4Kay. The week kicks off on Sunday, February 12 with a Pink Zone Clinic in Springfield, New Jersey, and continues throughout the week with Pink Office Week as Moravian faculty and staff members are encouraged to wear jeans and pink all week and asked to make a $5 donation for each day they wear pink. The women’s basketball team will also be selling t-shirts and pink rally towels in the HUB all week. The Greyhounds are set to host their annual Pink Zone Clinic in Johnston Hall on Thursday, February 16 with a $10 donation to attend the clinic. To register for the clinic, click here.
Moravian has also added three new events this year. One Monday, February 13 there will be an intramural 3-on-3 basketball tournament with the championship game to take place at halftime of the Greyhounds' game versus Drew University on Wednesday, February 15. On Tuesday, February 14, the Greyhounds are hosting a Pink Pancake Breakfast for students, faculty and staff in the Pavilion for $10, and on Friday, February 17 Moravian is hosting a four-hour Spin-a-thon at Studio Fitness LV from 5:00-9:00 p.m.
Saturday’s festivities will include Moravian’s annual Alumni game and a reception at Roosevelt’s 21 after the game. The deadline to register for those events is February 8.
The contest is an effort to reward participating teams in the Play 4Kay who are also raising funds for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund®, in partnership with the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) and The V Foundation for Cancer Research. Moravian collected $18,520 in 2016, the top amount from an NCAA Division III school. The Greyhounds were also the top NCAA Division III team in 2015 with $17,038, in 2014 with $12,573, in 2013 with $16,210, in 2012 with $12,025, in 2011 with $5,825 and in 2010 at $6,100. The Greyhounds had a total of $5,200 in 2009 to give Moravian a total of $93,491 raised over the last eight years.
In recognition of its on-going work with Play 4Kay, Moravian received National Association of Division III Athletic Administrators/Jostens Community Service Award for on-going projects at the 2015 NCAA Convention and received an honorable mention at the 2017 NCAA Convention.
Make a donation online to Moravian's Play 4Kay Initiative - click here
Schedule of events for 2017 Play 4Kay at Moravian College
- Sunday, February 12 - Pink Zone Clinic in Springfield, N.J.
- Monday-Friday, February 13-17 - Pink Office Week
- Monday-Friday, February 13-17 - T-Shirt Sales in HUB
- Monday, February 13 - Intramural 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
- Monday, February 13 - Chipotle Fundraiser, 1870 Airport Roa, Allentown, 5:00-9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 14 - Pink Pancake Breakfast, 8:00-10:00 a.m. Open to all students, faculty & staff in Pavilion for $10
- Wednesday, February 15 - Championship game of 3-on-3 Intramural Basketball Tournament at halftime of the Greyhounds game versus Drew University that tips off at 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 16 - Pink Zone Clinic at Moravian from 6:00-7:30 p.m. - Click here to register
- Friday, February 17 - Spin-a-thon at Studio Fitness LV, 5:00-9:00 p.m. Cost is $100 per team. Click here to register
- Saturday, February 18 - Play 4Kay Day along with Alumni Game, 11:30 a.m. in Johnston Hall
- Saturday, February 18 - Alumni, Family & Friends Reception at Roosevelt's 21, 4:30 p.m. - Register online here - Deadline to register is February 8