Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Gurreri Nets Overtime Winner at Kean University to Cap Second Half Rally

Senior Dominick Gurreri cuts towards the goal in a match versus Goucher College on John Makuvek Field.
Senior Dominick Gurreri cuts towards the goal in a match versus Goucher College on John Makuvek Field.

UNION, N.J. --- Senior midfielder Dominick Gurreri scored 1:38 into overtime as the Greyhounds rallied from a two-goal halftime deficit to defeat host Kean (N.J.) University, 9-8, in non-conference action Monday evening.

The Hounds, now 7-3 this spring after the squad's second consecutive overtime contest, had five different goal scorers with junior attack Cade Siddron netting a hat trick to go with a pair of ground balls. Senior attack Mark Laratta contributed two goals, two assists and four ground balls while freshman attack Connor James had two goals. Senior midfielder Austin Adams added one goal, one assist and two ground balls while Gurreri had one goal. Sophomore attack Connor Hull and sophomore attack Matt Comini each had one assist.

Senior goalie Kurt Dick registered 14 saves and two ground balls in his sixth win of the season while senior defender John Polich contributed seven ground balls and four caused turnovers. Sophomore defender Tanner Leslie added six ground balls and three caused turnovers while senior midfielder Rick Guerra was 10-for-21 on face-offs with five ground balls. Junior midfielder Peter Degnan scooped up four ground balls while senior defender Brian Biase added two ground balls.

Siddron opened the scoring just over four minutes into the contest, and Adams scored four minutes later to give the Greyhounds a 2-0 lead with 6:41 left in the opening quarter. Kean scored a man-up goal about 30 seconds later but the Blue and Grey still had a 2-1 edge after 15 minutes of action.

The Cougars scored the only three goals of the second quarter to head to the intermission with a 4-2 lead.

Moravian netted three goals to start the second half with Siddron scoring at the 11:20 mark, James adding a man-up goal at 8:37 and Laratta tallying at 7:50 as the Hounds moved back ahead 5-4. Kean answered with a man-up goal; however, Laratta scored with a man advantage and just over a minute left in the period to give the Greyhounds a 6-5 lead after 45 minutes of play.

The teams traded goals in the fourth quarter with Siddron giving Moravian a 7-6 edge with 4:53 to play, and James making it an 8-7 match with 2:22 to go. The Cougars scored with just six seconds left to knot the score at 8-8 and force overtime.

Guerra won the opening face-off of overtime, and the Greyhounds dominated possession in the extra session until Gurreri fired in a long shot for the victory, Moravian's first in overtime since a 13-12 victory over Elizabethtown College on March 20, 2008.

The Hounds are scheduled to return to action on Saturday, April 6 in a Landmark Conference match at Susquehanna University beginning at 1:00 p.m. in Selinsgrove.