Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Moravian Falls on Late Goal at Susquehanna in Landmark Conference Action

Sophomore Connor Hull fires in a goal versus Goucher College on John Makuvek Field.
Sophomore Connor Hull fires in a goal versus Goucher College on John Makuvek Field.

SELINSGROVE, Pa. --- The Moravian College men's lacrosse squad dropped a 10-9 Landmark Conference decision at Susquehanna University in the final minute Saturday afternoon.

The Greyhounds, now 7-4 overall and 1-2 in Landmark Conference action after the third straight match with a goal in the final minute of regulation with the previous two going to overtime, had six different players score goals led by sophomore attack Connor Hull, who had three goals and an assist. Junior attack Cade Siddron contributed two goals and an assist while senior midfielder Austin Adams had one goal and one assist. Senior midfielder Dominick Gurreri, junior midfielder Brandon Sisk and freshman attack Connor James all netted one goal while senior attack Mark Laratta had three assists and sophomore attack Matt Comini added one assist.

Senior goalie Kurt Dick registered seven saves and three ground balls in the contest while senior midfielder Rick Guerra was 14-for-23 on face-offs and scooped up a team-high seven ground balls. Adams, senior midfielder John Kerrison and sophomore defender Tanner Leslie each had three ground balls while Laratta, Comini, senior attack Jack Gozzard, junior long stick midfielder Jimmy Schicke, senior defender Brian Biase and junior midfielder Peter Degnan all had two ground balls. Senior defender John Polich caused a pair of turnovers.

The Blue and Grey had a 38-29 advantage in shots, a 34-28 edge in ground balls and won 14-of-23 face-offs.

Susquehanna scored the first two goals of the match before Siddron put Moravian on the scoreboard with 6:15 left in the first quarter. James scored at the 2:47 mark as the squads were tied at 2-2 after 15 minutes of action.

The Hounds scored the only four goals of the second quarter to lead 6-2 at the intermission. Gurreri gave Moravian the lead with 13:32 left in the period, and Siddron and Hull scored in the next three and a half minutes to push the edge to 5-2. Sisk scored with just 36 seconds left in the half for the four-goal halftime advantage.

The River Hawks netted a goal two minutes into the second half but it would only take Hull eight seconds to push the lead back to four. Susquehanna tallied the next three goals before Hull ended the third quarter with a man-up goal as Moravian led 8-6 after 45 minutes of action.

The River Hawks cut it back to a goal just over three minutes into the fourth quarter before Adams pushed it back to a two-goal advantage with a man-up tally as the Greyhounds lead 9-7 with 8:28 remaining. Susquehanna scored at the 7:24 mark and with 5:38 left to knot the score at 9-9. The River Hawks would get the winning goal with just 14 seconds left in regulation.

The Hounds are scheduled to return to action on Wednesday, April 10 when the squad hosts Elizabethtown in a Landmark Conference match beginning at 7:00 p.m. on John Makuvek Field.